Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Year of the Bus

It's been a very busy year for me with public art projects. After painting half a dozen hares and a book bench I was lucky to get the opportunity to paint a bus for another fantastic Wild in Art project.

They are working with Transport for London and the London Transport Museum to bring 60 of the 8ft long bus sculptures to the streets of London in the autumn. 2014 has been designated the 'Year of the Bus' to celebrate 60 years since the creation of the first Routemaster. The sculptures are based on the new Routemaster bus which was launched earlier this year.



My design was inspired by some of the iconic London Transport posters of the past, which featured decorative umbrellas. The 'Brolly Bus' has 56 ( I think!) colourful umbrellas against a sunshine and showers rainbow sky and autumn leaves. Old London is represented by St Paul's Cathedral and new London by the Millennium Bridge.

The sculptures will be auctioned at the end of the year to raise money for charities Kids Company and Transaid and the London Transport Museum.









2 comments:

  1. Saw Brollybus on my way to the Tate today - loved it! So colourful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane
    I am the owner of your bus. I am going to have a brolly day to welcome her into my back garden, if you would like to be my guest it would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete